The statement, ‘You don’t know what you have until it’s gone’, is pretty damn accurate, don’t you think? The thought that we don’t appreciate things until they’re taken away. Like the use of one’s leg until it’s injured, or a fully functioning hot water system.
Loss usually leads to appreciation, and loss usually stems from a lack of appreciation (I did say ‘usually’). We rely on and expect certain things in life to just work and come to appreciate them more when taken away. You expect your car will start and don’t give it a second thought when it does. But, when suddenly das auto does not work you come to appreciate the days it had started without a hiccup.
I’d come to realise that I lack appreciation for what I have, like everyone else I’m more inclined to focus on what I don’t have. I’d made a deal with myself to stop looking at the negatives. I now opt to think of positives, I’ve been transformed into a ‘glass half full’ girl (90% of the time). So with this new vest for life I’ve put together a short list of what I’m grateful for. So here, in no particular order, enjoy.
1. Each morning is a new day! A fresh start. Unless it’s raining, then it’s a just a crap start. How about this, every morning is a fresh serving of bacon and eggs, coffee and sourdough.
2. The freedom to buy, eat, serve and throw away whatever food I please. Not everyone can just pop to Woolies for fresh food, or delicious Tim Tams.
4. Yoga – I’m grateful to live in an area brimming with Yoga studios. It’s almost un-cool not to be member of several.
5. Being broke. I know it’s crazy but I can honestly say I understand the value of a dollar. Money will come, and working hard to earn it will make the achievement all the more satisfying.
6. The sea! Cure your soul, calm your nerves, enjoy the sunshine or build a castle. It’s a place we dream about, and I am ridiculously lucky to live an exact 5 minute walk from some of the Australia’s most iconic and beautiful beaches.
7. They make me smile, pick me up, throw me surprise parties, buy me cake, listen to me, love and care for me. What we do without our pals?
8. Books. How good is curling up with a story so good, you stay up ’til 3am reading?
9. Unless you never forget anything, ever, a camera is your time machine. Capturing beauty, moments and memories. I lost 1,500 travel photos once and will never forgive myself.
10. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Linkedin, gmail, MSN, Google+, Google, WordPress.. let’s just call it WWW. I am grateful for the interweb because without I could not search: ‘make me laugh’ – go to YouTube and watch ‘Never say not Panda’ – Share it and make my friends smile.
11. Compassion. I’m grateful I’m able to express compassion and I appreciate it when people are compassionate towards me.
12. Ever laugh so hard snot came out of your nose? Imagine a world where we didn’t know what funny was – I take my hat off to you, Sense Of Humour.
13. An imagination crafts stories, it’s where reality and fantasy combine to create, everything. We all use our imaginations everyday. From the provocative to cute, you have to ask yourself how much you would miss confidential thoughts. Because every thought stems from your imagination.
14. Ice-cream. I am so, so grateful for ice-cream. I don’t believe my appreciation for ice-cream requires explanation.
15. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for her. I wouldn’t be who I am today without him. The fossils, my parents, the ‘rents. I love them to pieces for letting me pinch their food when I visit.
Because this list can only but grow, think of this as a, ‘to be continued’.